Plan a Mountain Vacation in North Carolina
Whether you’re planning a getaway or an event, be sure to enjoy all of the activities available during your stay at the Buck House Inn on Bald Mountain Creek.
Enjoy a hearty breakfast, and then explore the surrounding area with activities offering something for everyone.
Activities at The Inn or “On the Mountain” within 15 minutes
- Take a Hike:
- Explore the old Hensley Cemetery, waterfall & trails along creek on 500 acres of conservation land adjacent to the Inn.
- Take on a moderate section of the Appalachian Trail (AT), which crosses the summit of Bald Mountain. Parking for AT access is available or arrange drop-off and pick-up service with the Innkeeper.
- Golf at Wolf Laurel and Mountain Air Country Clubs. Discounted fees for Buck House guests. Club rental available.
- Take a one-hour Innkeeper guided UTV trail ride from the Inn to explore the area by off-road vehicle. Ride will take you on a couple of adventurous hills where you can experience long range view. $10 per person.
- Trout fishing in Bald Mountain Creek is only steps from the front porch. Native Southern Appalachian Brook Trout and Rainbow Trout are plentiful (catch and release).
- Corn hole, horseshoes, disc golf and other yard games.
- Bonfires and s’mores upon request.
- Picnic on the grounds or on the mountain.
- Sit back in an Adirondack rocker and enjoy some “Porch Time” on our vintage 1904 wrap-around front porch overlooking the property, or sit out at our “Fireside Lounge” by a cozy bonfire. Take a book to one of our secluded swing gazebos or hammocks located right beside peaceful Bald Mountain Creek.
Other Activities in the Area within 20-90 minutes
- Tour the Biltmore Estate in Asheville.
- Linville Falls Winery tour, Sierra Nevada Beer tour, & other breweries.
- Dine at one of Asheville’s many fine restaurants.
- Whitewater rafting on the Nolichucky River (30 minutes) or French Broad River (45 minutes).
- Snakeroot Ecotours 4-hour educational hike.
- Navitat Zipline (35 minutes).
- Hike to numerous waterfalls along the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Visit Mt. Mitchell State Park. At 6600 feet, Mt. Mitchell is the highest peak east of the Mississippi River.
- Shop and dine in quaint Burnsville, Weaverville or Spruce Pine.
- Visit the Penland Artist’s School and Retreat near Spruce Pine.
- Shop in historic Boone or Blowing Rock, NC, or Jonesborough, TN.
- Take a one-hour or five-hour self-guided Quilt Tour through the back roads of Yancey County.
- Attend weekend mountain festivals in nearby mountain towns throughout summer and fall.
- View and photograph amazing fall foliage along local by-ways in September and October.
- Trout fishing along the Cane River or North Toe River near Spruce Pine.
- Story-telling festivals in Jonesborough, TN.
- Take in a performance at a local regional theater:
- Roan Mountain State Park near Erwin, TN.
- Take a BEAUTIFUL 17-mile downhill bike ride on the Virginia Creeper Trail near Damascus, VA (rental bikes available in Damascus). Add dinner and a show at the Barter Theater in downtown Abington, VA. (One hour and 45 minute drive, but well worth the trip!)